Saturday 13 March 2010

Time, Place and Memory















































The starting point for my work in the Time, Place and Memory project fitted adequately with my work in the previous semester as I was interested in the notion of entombment and concretising memory. To carry on this theme I decided to look at memorial stones as it dealt with issues that I felt I could pursue further.

Graveyards are often found in woodland areas so this allowed me to introduce organic elements of the cycle of life and death, natural and human forms. I incorporated this notion into my practice by growing water cress in the inside of an old thick book and then documenting its succession from life until death. I explored this idea further by pressing clay into the engravings inscribed on the memorial stone and when I peeled it back the moss had fixed onto the clay. I then encased an open book with the clay and filled the spine with water cress reiterating the cycle of life and death working simultaneously.

I often found that when the engraved clay dried it would often crack and break therefore I incorporated this into my work and embedded the broken pieces into different materials such as plaster and wax, in a sense capturing time and memory in a contained place.

No comments:

Post a Comment